Checklist for Moving House
4 To 6 Weeks Before Move Date
- Get quotes from several removal firms and weigh up the cost of those against hiring a van yourself. You can request quotes from local firms by clicking here.
- Some removal services provide extras such as insurance and packing - be sure to ask if you require these.
- Ensure the removal firm is a member of the National Guild of Removers and Storers.
- If you use a removal firm, read your contract so you know what to do if any of your goods get damaged in the move, and also check your household insurance.
- Make an inventory of everything to be moved and give a copy to the removal firm.
- Avoid peak times to move if possible, eg Bank Holidays, end of school terms and Fridays.
- Make a list of the utility companies you will need to notify.
- You can have your mail redirected by notifying the post office, this service does incur a charge.
- As soon as possible start to pack any items that will not be needed before the move.
- Bin or give to charity any unwanted items.
1 Week Before Moving Date
- Cancel all deliveries such as papers and milk.
- Towards the end of the week, defrost the freezer.
- Hire removal boxes if not supplied by the removal firm.
- Arrange final readings of water/gas/electricity (72 hours notice).
- Arrange for your final telephone bill, and your connection at your new home.
- Send out "We're moving" cards to friends and relatives.
- Throw out anything you don't need.
- Plan where the furniture is going to go in your new home.
- Remember to label all boxes with their contents and which room they are to go into.
- Create a 'survival kit' of essential items, to keep with you on the day of the move.
- Turn off all appliances.
- Take a final reading of all meters.
- If you have children make sure you keep their favourite toys close to hand.
- And finally, take a last look around the house to make sure you have left nothing behind...
Once You're In
- Unpack your SURVIVAL KIT and other essential items.
- Place boxes in relevant rooms.
- Make sure the telephone and utilities are connected.
- Start cleaning where necessary.
- Make the beds.
- Put up curtains and blinds.
- Find the nearest take-away!
Call 0845 300 8406** for further information about selling your home with Your Move.