Prepare For a Viewing
Remember that first impressions count! You will want to create the best possible impression when a potential buyer comes to view your home.
It is important to prepare the outside of your house as this is the first part of the house to be seen, so needs just as much attention if not more than the rest of the house.
- Ensure that the garden is tidy.
- The lawn should be free of leaves.
- Sweep the paths, pull out the weeds, and check for loose paving.
- Clean the garden furniture.
- Hanging baskets, planted tubs and window boxes make a house look cheerful and create a fresh smell.
- Put the bin out of sight and make sure that it does not smell!
- Clean the house from top to bottom.
- Plump your cushions.
- Straighten the curtains.
- Make shelves neat and tidy.
- Tidy up any clutter or cover it up.
- Keep the kids and pets out of sight.
- Ensure all light bulbs work - especially in cupboards and under the stairs where prospective buyers might want to look.
The Living Room
- Open the windows in summer.
- In winter ensure the house is warm.
- Potted plants or fresh flowers brighten up the room, but make sure their smell is not overpowering.
- The smell of furniture polish gives the impression the home is well cared for.
- Leave a light on - this can create a relaxed atmosphere and brightens the room.
- Work tops benefit greatly from under-unit lighting - so if you have them, turn them on.
- Make sure the surfaces are clean and clutter free.
- Look in the cupboards - are they packed well? You don't want all your tins to fall out if they are opened!
- As with every room - a good smell sells! The aroma of fresh coffee or baking bread gives your kitchen a wonderful homely atmosphere.
- Freshly washed, sweet smelling towels should be hung neatly on the rails or over the bath.
- A new bar of soap looks better than one which is melting away.
- A sparkling bath, hand basin and toilet create the right impression.
- If the bathroom is tiled, ensure the tiles and the grout are clean.
- Be prepared for prospective buyers to open your bathroom cabinet. Remember to remove any items you don't want them to see!
- Ensure you know how the heating and hot water systems work so you can answer any questions.
- Make sure the bed is nicely made.
- Avoid clutter.
- Leave a light on to create atmosphere.
- Tidy away anything you don't want on show!
Call 0845 300 8406** for further information about selling your home with Your Move.