Gateshead is a town located in Tyne and Wear, opposite Newcastle upon Tyne and on the southern bank of the River Tyne. The well known landmark, Gateshead Millennium Bridge joins Gateshead and Newcastle together along with the other famous 6 bridges. The town is well known for its beautiful architecture including The Sage Gateshead, The Angel of the North and The Baltic Centre for Contemporary Art.
Easy to Get Around
- The Tyne and Wear Metro stations at Gateshead Interchange and Gateshead Stadium provide direct light-rail access to Newcastle, Sunderland, Tynemouth and South Shields.
- Gateshead Interchange is the busiest bus station in Tyne and Wear and is used by over 3.9 million passengers each year.
- There are several bus companies that run through Gateshead including 'Go North East'.
- Gateshead has a large range of Primary and secondary schools.
- Although Gateshead does not have a University, Gateshead College has a huge success for access into higher education.
- Gateshead College received the Investors in People (IIP) Gold standard
Culture and Entertainment
- The Sage Gateshead is an international home for music and musical discovery and offers something different to the norm.
- The Academy Of Music and Sound opened in 2010 and is located 5 minutes from its partner, Gateshead College, therefore the Academy students can enjoy easy access and use of both campuses music facilities which include various musical instruments and recording suites.
- The BALTIC is located on the south bank of the River Tyne in Gateshead and is a major international centre for contemporary art.
Lots of Shopping
- The Metro Centre is a shopping centre in Gateshead which celebrated it's 25th birthday in 2011. It has more than 340 shops and is the largest shopping and leisure centre in the UK.
- With free car parking spaces available at The Metro Centre you need not worry how long you spend there!
- Gateshead College Academy for Sport is number one in the region.
- Gateshead International Stadium will be hosting the European Athletics Team Championships in June 2013.
Famous People from Gateshead
- Steve Cram MBE
- Jonathan Edwards CBE
- Paul Gascoigne
- Brian Johnson – Lead singer of AC/DC