Make sure you're covered this Christmas
The last thing people think about at Christmas is insurance...But the first thing people think about should something go wrong is am I insured!
Checking your current home insurance policy or adding optional extras such as Home Emergency to your existing policy can take minutes, but in the long run could save you thousands, take a look at our useful advice below, and don’t forget to call us should you have any questions.
Are you purchasing new gifts for your loved ones?
Most insurers will automatically increase your contents sum insured (this is your contents insurance) by 10% over the Christmas period to cover new purchases. But not all insurers will, so it’s important to check your policy now!
If you are thinking about, or have already purchased a present for over £1,000 then check your current policy limits as you may not be covered by your current insurer, imagine if ‘that’ engagement ring was lost the day after you bought or had presented it to your loved one, or someone spilt a drink on the brand new laptop you had purchased. It does happen, so be prepared.
We are here to answer any questions you may have, provide a new home insurance quote or simply check your current policy for you, find out more here
Association of British Insurers (ABI) members, pay out £2.5 million every day to customers1
Burst pipes and escape of water are two of the most common dangers to your home during the winter period, and the two that most people forget to think about or prepare for. Arranging a tradesman over Christmas can be a nightmare situation; water can cause significant damage to all of your belongings, including Christmas presents and could mean you have to move out of your home whilst repairs are made.
At the height of the cold spell in 2010 insurers dealt with 3,500 claims for burst pipe damage every day. The typical cost of household damage caused by burst pipes averaged up to £7,000 during the cold spell and in some cases significantly more1.
Don’t be left in the cold, have you considered adding a Home Emergency product to your current home insurance policy to provide you with a tradesman, should the worse happen? Find out more here
Do you have festive lights up at your home?
A common mistake of many festive decorators is to feed extension cables through partially open windows, criminals know to look out for this. Leaving your home accessible in this way may invalidate your insurance. Be smart!
Think about how you are advertising your home to opportunists:
- Are you leaving all your lights on in the evening, with the curtains open, and presents under the tree in full view of the whole street?
- Have you said to the postman – leave any parcels out the back/in the greenhouse and left this same access open for opportunist thieves as well?
- Are you posting on social media your plans for the festive period – you never know who could be reading your posts
- Are you putting rubbish in the bin that would show what you have bought and are storing in your home? Receipts / bank statements / packaging / carrier bags from certain shops etc...
What about landlords?
Are you a landlord? Do you let out a home?
We all know that Christmas can be an expensive time of year, but it’s important to make sure your income is also not at risk, what would happen if your tenant defaults on their rental payments now or in the New Year?
With the Your Move Rent Protection and Legal Cost Insurance Scheme** – you have guaranteed peace of mind.
- Up to 6 months' rent - with NO EXCESS to pay. The rent is 100% guaranteed, if your tenant defaults until vacant possession is obtained, or your property is re-let (whichever is the sooner)
- Legal fees up to £15,000 for legal costs arising from regaining possession of your property from a tenant (providing they are in arrears)
- Hotel accommodation for you for up to 30 days - to a maximum of £100/day (if your tenant has not vacated by the agreed date and the rental account is in arrears and you wish to move in to the property)
- No forms for you to complete - telephone based advice and application
- Automated claims - no need to notify insurers or complete claim forms
- The backing of one of the largest insurers in the UK - the policy is provided by AVIVA.
- Peace of mind
When you choose either the Your Move Rent Collection or Your Move Fully Managed Lettings Service you can take advantage of our complete protection.
Call us on 01392 849 758^
**** Terms and conditions apply. This information is a summary only. You will receive a full policy document upon application. This policy will set out the terms, conditions and limitations of this product.
With our standard Home insurance, you have the option to add extra cover for:
- Accidental damage
- Personal possessions such as personal money, pedal cycles
- Home Emergency with 24/7 access to approved tradesman for emergency repairs and no excess
- Family Legal Expenses providing legal assistance to cover disputes, identity fraud etc...
We can cater for a wide range of circumstances. Call us today on 01392 849751, or if you prefer, fill out our online form here
Nutcracker photo credit: Freeimages.com/Piotr Bizior