5 yearly electrical checks come into force in England on 1st July
For too long, the rules around electrical safety for privately rented properties in England have not been specific enough, so we welcome the introduction of this new legislation.
From 1st July 2020, for all new tenancies, the electrical installation in a property must have been inspected and tested by a suitably-qualified person before the tenancy begins. For new-builds or properties that have been completely re-wired, the electrical installation certificate (EIC) will cover the first 5 years. The installation must then be inspected and tested at least every five years – more often if specified on the report – and a copy of the written report given to the tenant.
Key things to know
- This new rule comes under The Electrical Safety Standards in the Private Rented Sector (England) Regulations 2020.
- It applies to all new or renewed tenancies from 1st July 2020 and to all existing tenancies from 1st April 2021.
- The written report will normally be an Electrical Installation Condition Report (EICR).
- If further investigations or repairs are required, they must be completed by a qualified person within 28 days of the inspection.
- A copy of the report must be given to new tenants before they move in and to existing tenants within 28 days of the inspection. Your local authority can request a copy of the report, in which case you must supply it to them within 7 days.
- For HMOs, the new law replaces the existing requirements.
- You must retain the report and give a copy to the person undertaking the next inspection.
If we manage your property on a Fully Managed or Rent Collect service, you should have by now received an email explaining next steps and how we can help you. If you have not received this, please contact your local branch
If you currently self-manage, you can find an electrician via Electrical Safety First or the Electrical Safety Register. Anyone carrying out electrical work should be registered with NICEIC or a member of NAPIT. And if you need an inspection within the next year, make sure you book it in good time, as there’s bound to be huge demand.