Your Landlord’s Responsibilities
Your Landlord/Agent has responsibilities to you as a paying tenant:
- Maintain the structure and exterior of the property.
- Insure the building to cover any damage from flood or fire.
- Install smoke alarms on each floor.
- Fit carbon monoxide alarms in rooms using solid fuels (coal or wood for example)
- Deal with problems related to water, electricity and gas supply.
- Maintain appliances and furniture they have supplied.
- Carry out most repairs. If something is not working, report it to the landlord (or their agent) as soon as you can.
- Arrange an annual gas safety check by a Gas Safe engineer (where there are any gas appliances).
- Give a minimum of 24 hours notice of visits for repairs or maintenance.
- Get a licence for the property, if it is a licensable property. This applies to properties where you rent a room in a shared house known as HMOs.